Sabbath's Theater

Sabbath's Theater

Book - 1995
Average Rating:
3
Rate this:
He is relentlessly defiant. He is exceedingly libidinous. His appetite for the outrageous is insatiable. He is Mickey Sabbath, the aging, raging powerhouse whose savage effrontery and mocking audacity are at the heart of Philip Roth's astonishing new novel. Sabbath's Theater tells Mickey's story in the wake of the death of his mistress, an erotic free spirit whose adulterous daring exceeds even his own. Once a scandalously inventive puppeteer, Mickey is now in his mid-sixties and besieged by ghosts - of his mother, his beloved brother, his vanished first wife, his mistress of thirteen years. Bereft and grieving, he embarks on a turbulent journey back into his past, one that brings him to the brink of madness and extinction. But no matter how ardently he courts death, he is too exuberantly alive to succeed at dying. Sabbath's Theater is a comic creation of epic proportions, and Mickey Sabbath is its gargantuan hero. This book, which presents Philip Roth at the peak of his powers, is sur
Publisher: Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1995.
ISBN: 9780395739822
0395739829
Branch Call Number: ROTH
Characteristics: 451p. 24cm.

Opinion

From the critics


Community Activity

Comment

Add a Comment

s
susann206
Dec 17, 2011

About 70 percent of this book was devoted to graphic sexual experiences and descriptions which got a little old after while. The other 30 percent was an interesting insight into the mind and life of an aging man whose choices and actions have put him in the postion of having virtually no resouces. His way of dealing with this and his will to live life on his own terms provides an insight to a unique way of looking at life.

g
GrumpyDave
Dec 11, 2010

1995 National Book Award - Fiction

c
Cabby
Dec 05, 2007

Finalist 1996 Pulitzer prize.

Age

Add Age Suitability

There are no ages for this title yet.

Summary

Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.

Notices

Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.

Quotes

Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number
  Loading...

Find it at ALCO

  Loading...
[]
[]
To Top